I confess that I have enough complexities in my life, homeschooling doesn’t need to be one of them. I have worked and learned over the past few years to make homeschooling as simple, and as few hours as possible. Therefore, I have coined the phrase: Super Simple Homeschooling. I am sure someone else came up with this too, maybe quite a few others. But since I haven’t seen it in the mainstream yet, I can state that I wasn’t influenced by anyone else:-)
The reason our family choose SOTW is because:
1) I can use it with the whole family.
2) The reading and writing is supportive of a younger group – my children are K, 2nd, and 3rd grades.
3) The stories are engaging, the project interesting and fun.
How We Do Our Homeschool History
With the exception of Math and Language Arts which we do twice a week, we do the rest of our subjects only once per week. We then divide up a chapter of Story of the World over two weeks.
1) Week 1 – Reading the story, asking the discussion and narration questions, deciding which project we want to do and making a list of supplies needed, and deciding which additional reading we want to get from the library. Sometime during the week we will get the library books, so in some ways, history is done a second day, but not formally.
2) Week 2 – We do the coloring pages, map work, and at least 1 project. The girls always have fun and talk for days about what they did and learned. Sometimes we have show and tell with family members (dad, grandparents, etc..).
The Photo Above
The photo is of two of the girls making an Assyrian Siege Tower with legos. This is from chapter 16 of SOTW V. 1 – The Ancient Times. The girls still remember that Assyria was able to conquer their enemies because Assyria was great at making these towers.
If you aren’t loving your history or if your history is too complicated, I recommend trying SOTW!
Search Ebates for coupons from your favorite retailers for $20 – $1000 off of products and 12% cash back on all purchases.
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links.by