When you think of the Caribbean and food, what items come to mind? Coconuts, mangoes, fish? I am sure there will be many other things that come to mind, but for this Simple, Healthy, Cheap! Caribbean inspired recipe, these 3 ingredients play center stage.
1 to 3 Tbs curry powder or paste – curry pastes are generally spicier than powder
2 tsp salt
1 to 3 tsp ginger – more means more spice / heat
3 cloves garlic
2 cups coconut milk
2 cups water (optional – fish broth)
4 Tbs fish sauce (optional)
2 Tbs sugar
1 mango, diced
1 cup mixed veggies like peas and carrots
1 to 1 1/2 lbs white fish, cut into chunks
2 cups rice (6 cups when cooked)
1) Cook rice according to rice instructions.
2) Heat oil in a large pot or wok.
3) Add all spices and salt (garlic, ginger, curry powder or paste) and sauté for 30 seconds.
4) Add coconut milk and water – bring to a low boil.
5) Add diced mangoes, veggies and then the fish. Return to a simmer
6) Cook about 10 minutes, making sure the fish is cooked through.
7) Serve curry over the rice in bowls, more rice than curry.
Should make 10 to 12 servings.
I hope you enjoy this frugal recipe.
See this recipe on “Try A New Recipe Tuesday” from Home to 4 Kiddos.
If you want to save money on books with Caribbean or Frugal Recipes, search Ebates for coupons from your favorite book retailers for $$$ off of products and get up to 10% cash back on your purchases.
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links.