I love Ethnic foods. I love themes. And I love to save money. So what better way to put it all together, than a themed, ethic meal plan with the goal of the total groceries costing less than $60 for the week!
What follows is the menu, the shopping list, the estimated cost of the shopping list, and links to recipes, including a few of my own.
Spanish Week Menu
The numbers at the end are the amount of times you should be able to serve the meal during the week if you are a family of 5. The links will take you to recipes – some of mine here on my blog and some found on great food sites.
- Quesadillas – 3 – Cheese + favorite veggie
- Haystacks – 4 – Recipe + sides of Spanish Rice and Re-fried Beans should last 4 meals.
- Spanish Rice – To supplement meals of choice
- Re-fried Beans – To supplement meals of choice
- Bean Burritos – 3 – Make recipe 3 times.
- “Breakfast” Burritos – 3 – Make recipe 3 times.
- Oatmeal – 4
- Spanish Omelette – 3 – Add some veggies to the omelette.
- Tortillas – prefer whole wheat for health. Purchase in bulk – 90 tortillas – $15.00 – or make your own for less and use the budget for fruit or veggies.
- Tortilla chips – 2 large bags – $6.00
- 2 lbs cheese (shredded or shared it yourself) – $7.00
- 1 lb ground meat (beef or turkey) – $3.50
- 2 lb pinta (pinto) beans – $2.00
- 2 lb black beans – $2.00
- Veggies – canned or fresh like spinach, bell peppers, corn – $3.00
- Lettuce head – $1.50
- Tomatoes – $3.00
- Salsa – $3.00
- 1 Can Tomato Paste – $0.50
- Chili Powder – $2.00
- Hash browns (shredded potatoes) – 5 lb bag of potatoes – $3.00
- Eggs – 3 dozen – $4.50
- 1 lb Turkey Sausage – $3.00
Items that are in most people’s pantries (stuff to purchase in bulk a couple times per year):
- Chicken stock
Search Coupons.com to see if there are any coupons available for the ingredients to cut the costs even further!
By the way, have you seen my Asian Week Menu? If not, check it out now! And be sure to subscribe to my blog, as I will be releasing my Mediterranean themed menu in a few weeks!
What other ethnic foods / themes would you be interested in?