I originally learned this recipe from a frugal family of 12. They especially like to serve this to guests, as it is easy to make, allows people put their own combinations together to suite their own tastes, and is inexpensive.
- Tortilla Chips (2 bags)
- 2 tbl oil
- 1 onion (optional)
- 1 lb ground meat
- 8 to 10 cups cooked beans (black, pinta or 1/2 and 1/2)
- chili powder
- ranch dressing
- If you went for the optional onion, dice it, then heat oil on medium and saute the onion for a few minutes.
- Add the 1 lb ground meat and brown it over medium heat.
- Add the 8 to 10 cups cooked beans and stir. Add salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste.
- Cook until meat is cooked and beans are hot.
- Shred lettuce, dice tomatoes, shred cheese, set out salsa, ranch dressing, and tortillas.
- Serve by setting a base of tortillas on a plate. Add a scoop or two of the meat and bean mixture. Top as wanted with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, ranch, etc…
- Should make 3 meals for a family of 5. Stretch to 4 meals by serving Spanish rice and/or re-fried beans as side dishes.
Let me know your favorite Simple, Healthy, Cheap Mexican recipe.
Search coupons to see if you can save on the ingredients of this recipe or any recipe you are making tonight!