There aren’t many meals that I can think of that are as inexpensive as bean burritos, especially if you are making your own tortillas (although I confess that I am not). If you add some lettuce and tomato, or other veggies, they are a super healthy meal, also. The addition of cheese does increase the cost a bit, but I have a hard time enjoying them without the cheese. So without further commentary, here is the super simple recipe.
- 8 to 10 Tortillas
- 4 cups beans (cooked) – black, pinta or combine them
- Salt, pepper, chili powder
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Tomatoes and/or Salsa
- If using dried beans, cook according to package directions.
- Take the beans and add salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste and cook for a few minutes.
- Assemble burritos – 1 tortilla + 1/4 to 1/2 cup beans + a pinch or two of cheese + a pinch or two of lettuce + tomatoes and/or salsa.
Yes, they are really that quick and simple. We have a couple of children that like them with ketchup! These are the kinds of meals that we have in our monthly meal rotation. You could also add re-fried beans and/or Spanish rice as either a side dish or add them directly into the burrito.
Search Coupons.com for coupons for any of the ingredients of this recipe or any other recipe you are making today.